North Rift Region
NORTH RIFT REGION PROFILE
NCCK North Rift Region was launched on 28/2/1996 at Reformed Church of East Africa – Eldoret. NCCK Eldoret Branch (host NCCK Eldoret community Centre from 1972) – offered courses like dress making, secretarial, computer courses, nursery school and halls for hire. The region covers six counties namely: Elgeyo/ Marakwet, Nandi, Trans Nzoia, Turkana, Uasin Gishu and West Pokot. It is also a frontier region bordering Uganda, South Sudan and Ethiopia.
According to the 2019 Census the six counties have a total population of approximately 5,041,935 people. The region covers approximately 89,604.4sq kilometers. The topography of the six Counties is significantly varied:
- Uasin Gishu is located on a plateau and has a cool and temperate climate
- Elgeyo Marakwet County has three distinct topographical zones: The Highlands, the Escarpment, and the Valley,
- Nandi county is geographically, the unique jug-shaped structure of Nandi County is bound by the Equator to the south and extends northwards to latitude 0034’N. The western boundary extends to west
- Tranzoia county is Situated in the slopes of the mountain and has a cool and temperate climate
- West Pokot County is characterized by a variety of topographic features. On the northern and north eastern parts are the dry plains, with an altitude of less than 900 m above sea level. On the southeastern part are Cherangani Hills with an altitude of 3,370 m above sea level. Landscapes associated with this range of altitude include spectacular escarpments of more than700.
- Turkana county physiographic features include low lying open plains, mountain ranges and river drainage patterns.
Due to the Region’s proximity to the war-torn countries of Uganda, South Sudan and Ethiopia, small arms and sophisticated light weapons have found their way into the region. This together with frequent cattle rustling and tribal clashes has made the northern part of the region relatively unsafe.
The Regional Office is located in Mitaa Road Eldoret West and Iota.
P.O. Box 3371-30100, ELDORET. Cellphone Number: +254 728954254. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The map of the region with the six Counties is as depicted below;