CENTRAL REGION PROFILE
NCCK Central is a regional office of NCCK based in Nyeri Town. The region covers six counties namely Nyeri, Murang’a, Kirinyaga, Nyandarua, Embu and Laikipia.
The membership of NCCK based in the region are:
- African Christian Churches and Schools (ACC&S)
- Africa Church of the Holy Spirit (ACHS)
- African Independent Pentecostal Church of Africa (AIPCA)
- Anglican Church of Kenya (ACK)
- Church of God, Kima Mission
- Episcopal Church of Africa (ECA)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church of Kenya (ELCK)
- Full Gospel Churches of Kenya (FGCK)
- Kenya Assemblies of God (KAG)
- Methodist Church in Kenya (MCK)
- National Independent Church of Africa (NICA)
- Pentecostal Evangelical Fellowship of Africa (PEFA)
- Presbyterian Church of East Africa (PCEA)
- Salvation Army (SA)
- Fellowship of Christian Unions (FOCUS)
- Kenya Students Christian Fellowship (KSCF)
- Scripture Union of Kenya (SUK)
- Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA).
According to the 2019 Census, the region has a population of 4,166,034. The region is occupied majorly by the Agikuyu, but also Aembu, Maasai, Kamba and others taking a minority share. Climatic conditions in most parts of the region are generally cooler due to its higher altitude receiving two seasons of rain each year, that is, in March and October. However, there are areas with semi-arid to arid conditions with Laikipia and Embu Counties being the most affected.
Major economic activity is farming due to its fertile farming soil and good climate. People also engage in trade mainly within the agricultural value chain. The main cash crops are coffee and tea mainly undertaken by smallholder farmers organized into cooperatives. The people here also engage in dairy farming and horticulture. The main food crops are maize, legumes, tubers and vegetables. Livestock and food crop farming are done by smallholder, with marketing and distribution of surplus produce being done privately.
The region plays host to various tourism attraction features that include Mt. Kenya, Aberdare Ranges, Mt. Kenya National Park, Aberdare National Park, various colonial caves, private ranches and conservancies and hotels.
Notable learning institutions are based in the region including:
- Dedan Kimathi University of Technology
- Kirinyaga University
- Laikipia University
- Embu University
- Murang’a University
- Nyeri National Polytechnic
- Kagumo Teachers college, among others.
NCCK Central Regional Office is located in Nyeri Town, Kimathi Street, Third Floor, Central Plaza Building.
The contacts are P.O Box, 637-10100, Nyeri; Email – email@example.com; Phone – 0728962771.